Fish is one of the ‘wonderfoods’ that should be an essential part of your weekly diet. In fact, you should aim to eat at least 2 serves of fish a week to ensure you are getting the important health benefits associated with this fantastic food. This week our blog will examine the main reasons why fish should be a regular feature on your menu at home!
- Fish is nutritious: Fish is an excellent source of protein, selenium, zinc, iodine and vitamins A and D (in some species only). However, all fish is an excellent source of omega-3 essential fatty acids which are crucial for helping to regulate many systems in the body.
- Fish reduces risk of disease: Due to the nutrients and important fats found in fish, regular consumption of fish can reduce risk of developing asthma (in childhood), cardio-vascular disease, dementia and delivering a baby prematurely if you are pregnant. Not only that, eating fish will help to improve eye health and assist with blood sugar levels regulation in diabetics.
- Fish can improve your emotional health: The all important Omega-3 essential fatty acids in fish have been found to be effective in the treatment of depression and can even help to make anti-depressant medication work more effectively.
- Fish is good for arthritis and other inflammatory disease: Omega-3 has proven effectiveness in being a natural anti-inflammatory. Arthritis sufferers will therefore benefit from regular consumption of fish as will those suffering other inflammatory conditions like eczema, psoriasis, asthma, some cancers, gum disease and even PMT-symptoms (like swollen breasts and pelvic pain).
- Fish is tasty and easy to prepare: Fish is so versatile – you can bake, pan-fry, grill, steam, stir-fry…in fact, you can even eat it raw (sashimi anyone). It is preferred that you eat ‘wild-caught’ fish rather than farmed, simply because the nutrient and essential fatty acid content of the fish is usually higher. There has also some concern regarding fish and potentially harmful mercury levels. In general, the higher up the food chain the type of fish is, the higher its mercury content. It is therefore suggested that you restrict your consumption of the following types: shark (flake), swordfish, marlin, gemfish, ling, orange roughy (sea perch) and southern blue fin tuna.
The Natural Way is a holistic weight loss program that not only helps you to lose weight successfully but educates you about nutrition and health along the way. So by the time you get to goal weight, you are an expert on how to eat to keep your weight off & stay healthy – forever! Call 1300 SLIMMER (1300 754 663) and book a FREE appointment to find out how our program can change your life.
Visit our website: www.thenaturalway.com.au