If you follow our blog, you would have seen last week that a good nights’ sleep is vital for weight loss (see link here: https://loseweightwithsue.wordpress.com/2016/06/21/improve-sleep-lose-weight/). However, you just may be one of those people would love to have a full 8-hours every night, but that is virtually impossible. It is estimated that 1 in 3 people suffer with mild insomnia, which means one-third of the population is sleep-deprived. This week, we will list some simple tips that you can follow to help improve your sleep quality.
- Have a regular sleep routine: Try to go to bed at the same time every evening and get up at the same time every morning. This will help your body to work out its own healthy sleep routine.
- Bed is for sleeping, not browsing the net or watching TV: Television, computers and other distractions can interfere with your sleep. Watch TV on the couch and go to bed when you are tired. Your mind needs to be in the habit of knowing that if you are in bed, you are there to sleep.
- Alcohol, caffeine and cigarettes should be avoided: Alcohol may help you to get off to sleep, but will disrupt your sleep during the night due to its’ dehydrating effects. Caffeine-containing drinks and nicotine are stimulants that can keep you awake – avoid both for at least 6 hours before you intend to go to bed.
- Avoid daytime naps: As lovely as a ‘nanna nap’ is, sleeping during the day will makes it more difficult to sleep well at night. If a nap is absolutely necessary, for example because of a late night, then limit to about thirty minutes.
- Don’t lie awake watching the clock: Watching the time on a bedside clock just makes you anxious about not sleeping. If possible take the clock out of your bedroom or turn it around so that you cannot see the time.
- Create a relaxation ritual: Meditation is the perfect was to ‘turn off’ a busy mind so is fabulous to do before you go to bed. There are plenty of free Apps you can download to guide you (if you need to be ‘talked through’ a meditative practice). Also, purchase a lavender essential oil spray and give your bedroom a few good ‘squirts’ before turning out the light. This can really help to relax your nervous system & calm a ‘chattering’ mind.
It’s not just about getting a good nights’ sleep – there is MUCH more we can share with you to help you achieve your weight loss goal. If you are sick of ‘fad dieting’ and regaining all of your lost weight, you need to come and see The Natural Way to learn HOW to lose weight and keep it off. Phone 1300 SLIMMER (1300 754663) TODAY to make a FREE appointment to find out more about our lifestyle-friendly program. The Natural Way is your answer to long term weight maintenance!
Visit our website: www.thenaturalway.com.au