There is nothing better than having a cuppa and a little ‘time out’ at morning / afternoon tea. Of course, the ‘cuppa’ is usually accompanied by a little snack.
Healthy snack choices are great for keeping your blood sugar levels up between meals, however if you choose unhealthy snacks – like sugar and fat-filled biscuits and cakes – then this will lead to you storing excess fat (not to mention the roller-coaster effect on your blood sugars!)
So next time you are having a snack attack and start reaching for packet of Tim Tams, consider this:
Just one chocolate Tim Tam contains 97 calories with just under one-third of the calories coming from fat.
While 97 calories doesn’t seem like a huge amount, these calories are primarily ‘empty’ meaning while your snack may taste great its nutritional value is negligible.
A healthier, more nutritious snack (with around the same calories) would be:
- 1 medium banana which has 0g fat and is rich in potassium , Vitamin C, B1 and B2.
- 1 x 200g tub of diet yoghurt with 6 chopped strawberries. A great low-GI snack that gives helps to boost your all-important calcium intake for the day and the strawberries add Vitamins A, B1, B2, B6 and C.
- If protein is more your thing, 10 walnuts will do the trick. Besides the protein, these are a great source of essential fatty acids.
- Seven dried apricots are a fantastic source of iron with virtually no fat
- 1 medium carrot with a Tablespoon of low-fat hommus. Carrots are a great source of the antioxidant betacarotene and low GI hummus contains amino acids and some important minerals.
So if your stomach starts to rumble between meals, think twice about what you choose to snack on. Choosing a healthy snack will not only put an end to the hunger BUT will nourish you in a way that only ‘real’ food can.
For more advice on healthy snacking and weight management, call The Natural Way on 1300 SLIMMER (754663) today. The Natural Way tailors a weight loss programme to suit your tastes and lifestyle AND the best news is you get to eat REAL food while you lose.